Mission & History
Notre Dame's family-oriented environment serves as the foundation for an engaging and collaborative campus. Our mission as a Catholic High School in the Diocese of San Bernardino is to prepare our students for a life of faith, scholarship, and community engagement through real-world learning activities. Together, we forge a path for students, teachers, and our community to share their stories. Together, we continue our journey to innovate, create, and learn. Together, We Are ND.
Notre Dame was founded in 1956 by the Most Reverend Charles F. Buddy, Bishop of the Diocese of San Diego, as a Diocesan secondary school for boys. Rev. J.V. Sullivan, a Diocesan priest served as school principal until 1957 when the administration of the school was taken over by the Holy Ghost Fathers. In 1970, plans were made to merge Notre Dame with Riverside's St. Francis de Sales Girls High School. Under the direction of the Most Reverend Leo T. Maher, Bishop of the Diocese of San Diego, the present coed school was started in 1971.
In 1978, the Diocese of San Diego was divided and the new Diocese of San Bernardino was created with the Most Reverend Philip F. Straling as its first Bishop. Since the formation of the new Diocese, Notre Dame has become a tuition-based self-supporting high school under the Diocese of San Bernardino with an enrollment of approximately 500 students.